Wednesday, March 23, 2005

 

Ugh To Urbina

Mr. Gilkey raises a good point about the Mets talent evaluation. Are they delusional about how good their talent is, or are they just bad talent evaluators? I think it is a little of both and they have far too often fallen prey to the lure of the "proven commodity."

There is no better example of this then their supposed interest in Ugueth Urbina. Maybe this is not true, but if it is, it is a major red flag about how they run their team. Urbina comes with the "proven closer" label after some dominance in the late 90s and a great run for Florida in 2003, when he took the closers role from our own Braden Looper.

Have you looked at his stats? In 2004, he had a 4.50 ERA in 54 IP in the pitchers heaven that is Comerica Park. For his career, his ERA is 3.42 in 618 innings with 717 strikeouts and 268 walks. His K/9 is strong, but his K/BB is mediocre and with the exception of a couple of dominant stretches in 2002 and 1998, seven years ago(!), he has been extremely average. A 3.42 career ERA for a supposedly upper echelon reliever is an abomination.

Note to Mets: He does not provide an upgrade over anything they have in house and a trade for him would be a waste of resources. What does he have over Strickland or Bell other than that we have all heard of him? The thought of this trade makes me nauseous as the Tigers are supposedly asking for one or two prospects. It is same type of thing as the Ishii and Benson deals. The Mets continually fail to understand the concept of replacement-level talent.

Hopefully this is all smoke, but I fear there is fire there as well.
Comments:
Howdy! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after reading through some of the post I realized it's
new to me. Anyhow, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be
book-marking and checking back often!

My web page :: トリーバーチ靴
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?